Thursday 21 April 2011

R is for Rosa Bacchiochi AKA Rosone

My great-grandfather Augusto Mattioli’s mother was Rosa Bacchiochi. She was known as Rosone, which means Big Rosa.

The story goes that Rosa would go to the neighbourhood bar and order some bread and wine. Usually, she would finish the bread before she finished the wine, so she would order more bread. But then she’d finish the wine and still have bread. So, she would order more wine. This could go on for some time. I suspect she had to be carried home.

No wonder she was Big Rosa.

3 comments:

  1. She sounds like she would have been a fun character to be around :)

    I have awarded you the "One Lovely Blog Award", please stop by my blog to pick it up http://storiesfrommanymoonsago.blogspot.com/2011/04/one-lovely-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much Susan! The great thing about this award is that it links me to so many other lovely blogs.

    ReplyDelete